Oil cleansing is a great alternative to traditional cleansers which often contain harsh surfactants or even suplhates that strip your skin of it's natural oils. Our oil is the like food for our skin, keeping it supple and healthy. As a sufferer of adult acne, oil cleansing is what allowed me to heal and change my skin for the better!
Although cleansing an oily skin with oil seems counter-intuitive, I swear by it and challenge you to try it for 1 week. Oil cleansing will make a huge difference in the health of your skin.
I usually mix up a 60 ml bottle at a time, and I switch between the oily skin combo and the combination skin combo. My favorite is castor and jojoba oils, but you will find what works best for your skin!
Oily Skin: 1/3 Castor or Hazelnut Oil and 2/3 Olive, Sunflower or Jojoba oil
Combination Skin: 1/4 Castor or Hazelnut Oil and 3/4 Olive, Sunflower or Jojoba oil
Dry Skin: Straight up olive oil or avocado oil. (Dry skin needs rich oils)
Cleansing with Oil
The basic concept of this skin cleansing method, is that the oil used to massage your skin will dissolve the oil that has hardened with impurities and found itself stuck in your pores. The warm compress will open your pores, allowing the oil to be easily removed, all without stripping your skin of it's natural oils.
The objective of using this cleansing method is to cleanse while balancing your skins oil production at the same time.
- You'll need a soft washcloth, your oil blend, and hot water.
- Pour a generous puddle of oil into the palm of your hand. Roughly, the size of a quarter. Rub your hands together to warm the oil and smooth it over your face.
- Begin massaging the oil into your face. This will remove sunscreen, makeup, dirt, and other impurities, so there is no need to use a makeup remover or wash your face prior to the massage.
- Using slow, firm motions across the skin, massage the oil deeply into your pores. You want the oil to work into your pores so that blackheads and impurities can be dissolved and steamed away.
- Once your pores are saturated, use your washcloth and soak it in clean, steamy water. You want the water to be warm enough to further soften your pores and remove the oil. Cool water will not soften your pores, nor will it remove the oil efficiently.
- Hold the washcloth to cover your face. Allow it to stay until it cools. You will feel your pores softening and releasing the impurities. Wipe the oil gently away and rinse the washcloth well in hot, running water. Hold the washcloth to your face again, allowing it to cool. Wipe gently, rinse well, and repeat two or three more times. Avoid any temptation to scrub, as you'll find it's completely unnecessary and your skin will be soft, smooth, and free of flakes without the additional manual exfoliation and irritation that will result. Impurities, dead skin cells, and bacteria will be gently swept away.
I hope you enjoy this new way of cleansing!
This post was originally published on Eluma Creative, our sister site for all things skincare and beauty services!